Being diagnosed with cancer is far and away one of the most stressful experiences a person can go through. The anxiety level goes far beyond being caused by the illness alone. Frustrations and fears immediately become part of nearly every aspect of your life, from concerns about family and loved ones to the hours wasted in waiting rooms. Chief among the complaints voiced by those dealing with cancer is the added and unexpected aggravation that is caused by the financial stress of cancer. Nobody realizes how quickly the cancer bills can pile up, or how high their out-of-pocket expenses will be, until they find themselves in the cancer trenches.
It is well known that financial stress and cancer recovery are mutually exclusive – high levels of anxiety can inhibit the body’s ability to fight disease. This means that it essential for cancer patients to find methods to effectively and easily reduce their stress, and if much of the stress is caused by money woes then it is also helpful if the thing that offers relief is cost-free. For this and many other reasons, meditation has been found to be one of the best ways that cancer patients can get quick relief from stress. Here are five ways that meditation can reduce your financial stress.
5 Ways Meditation Reduces Financial Stress From Cancer
- Meditation provides a strong sense of calm and control that has staying power. It eliminates the sense of panic that often arises when people who are under financial stress think about money, allowing them to look at their issues in a clear-headed way and to see the availability of more creative options.
- Meditation has been shown to allow the executive functioning sections of the brain to operate more efficiently. This means that it will give you greater concentration and an ability to focus on solutions rather than being distracted by fears.
- Meditation allows you to see the bigger picture without being clouded by concerns over the future. Because it forces you to concentrate on the here and now, it opens your mind to more possibilities and permits you to consider ideas that you may have previously dismissed.
- Meditation has been shown to reduce anxiety levels in its practitioners by as much as 39%. Without the distraction of stress, you are much better able to focus on the problem at hand without the added concerns of physiological symptoms and fears intruding on your thought process.
- Meditation has been shown to be an effective counter to depression, helping practitioners to avoid constantly thinking about their fears and concerns. By removing the element of hopelessness from the thought process, mediation opens the door to a more optimistic way of thinking and solving financial issues rather than focusing on negative possibilities and outcomes.